read my mind

Thursday, June 4

I think I'm playing too many games.

In the past week or so, I've bought three new games, Peggle, Braid and The Sims 3, and I wonder if I've simply overloaded myself with learning game strategies and processing brainpower.

Peggle, which I have now on my iPod, is this kind of pachinko-like game where a sound knowledge in physics should help you get through most of the rounds; you fire a ball into the board, trying to hit as many orange pegs as possible. For every 5 rounds you get a different 'mentor' character who has a super power that helps you get to your goal faster! Peggle is insanely happy, with rainbows and a unicorn for a lead figure, but what seals the deal is that when you've hit your last orange peg, 'Ode to Joy' is sung out in a choral manner. It's so addictive! I tried the demo for the computer before deciding to spend just a fraction of the PC/Mac version's price for the iPod version.

I've forgotten how I discovered Braid, but this game is so interesting. It's somewhat a parody of the Super Mario franchise, but so much more. It's a typical side-scroller game, except for one thing: you get to control time. In each world you play you wield a different power, but you always get to rewind time so that you can 'un-die' or something even more integral to the solving of the puzzle. The ending of this game is wicked. This is a game for adults because it calls into question not only the genre of the video game, but also our fallibility, our desire to rewind time to change the past. If you have about S$20, some time and an open mind to spare, please try Braid!

The Sims 3 is my most recent acquisition. I'm not sure what to think of it! I think I'm not such a great game-player, so I'm unable to actually move beyond caring for basic needs. Perhaps I'll get better at managing my Sims (or find a couple of cheats along the way).

I know my life sounds frivolous, but I hope it means something in the end.

Edit: Scratch that. My life doesn't sound frivolous; it sounds GEEKY.

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home